Re: What is a "Manuta gondola"?

A&Y Dave in MD

Tim,

What makes you think it is not a US prototype? I'm trying to develop my observational skills so any help would be appreciated.  I confess I'm not great at detail spotting, but I've seen side dump hoppers of similar construction in photos I've searched for my time period. It looks like a side dump ballast car for non-revenue service.  I've certainly seen US steam era cars with brake staffs on both ends of a car. It is hard to tell how short it is, although the trucks do seem to have fairly close spacing for a 40' car. Steel cars existed from the beginning of the 20th century (if not very common), and some cars can be short. Length alone would not eliminate it from US prototype.  Is it the grab placement?

What do you see that suggests non-US prototype?
--
David Bott, modeling the A&Y in '34