Re: Kewanee boiler flat car load

Allen Cain

I do not know what they weighed but I do know that if you ask multiscaledigitial they may have the info for their's.  I recently bought a casting for a flat car load and they can tell the cubic inches of resin used to print the item.  Then take that number and for HO scale multiply it by 87 x 87 x 87 x the density of steel  (about .3 pounds per cubic inch IIRC) and you have a nice approximation for the prototype weight.  They posted the estimated weight on their site for the item I was needing.

Now this works only for items that were solid steel.  For something like a boiler made of sheet metal and tubes with lots of interior voids this would not work.

Allen Cain