Calling All Chemists - Somewhat OT

Gary Roe

Admittedly, this post is not about Steam Era Freight Car models; but the transportation and/or storage of same.

I do not have a layout, so virtually all of my models 'live' in a box.....usually the one they came in.  Once they are built, painted, and weathered, in my mind it is not preferable to stick them back in a box unprotected.  I recently 'discovered' something that I think is the answer; but knowing my luck, it will probably be detrimental to the model and/or its finish.  That's why I seek the advice of someone who knows.

The material I was thinking of using is a very thin, very soft, pliable plastic.  The source is my grocery store.  It is the bags they have in dispensers in the fruits and vegetables section.  I can find nothing that tells what kind of plastic it is, only that it is classified as a No. 2 Recyclable, and made by Unistar Plastics.

Will this stuff end up adhering itself to my models, or perform some other regrettable act of violence toward them?

Thanks in advance for tolerance of this subject, and any insight.

gary roe
quincy, illinois