Re: Increasing slope sheet angle on hoppers

Schuyler Larrabee

Yep, as I said, the reason the Lackawanna altered hoppers with steeper slope sheets came back to me.  It was so they could be used for cement service.  That accomplished both of the issues you mention, Jack, the better to discharge the lading, and also to reduce the cubic volume so as not to over load the trucks.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jack Mullen
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2020 1:29 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Increasing slope sheet angle on hoppers

Could be something as basic as sand, gravel, or crushed stone, although most railroads using old hoppers in such service didn't bother with alterations to suit the material. A relatively steep slope sheet helps discharge aggregates that can be reluctant, and the reduced cubic capacity works for a material with bulk density around 100 pcf.

Jack Mullen