Re: UTLX frameless tank car - how long in revenue service?

Steve and Barb Hile

Although UTLX did have some 10,000 gallon Type V cars, the model shown is a 6500 gallon car.

The main issue, following their use through WWII, was the requirement to convert to AB brakes.  Note that the model has split KD brakes that are mounted directly to the bottom plate of the tank as there was no center sill.  With some built in the first years of the century and none built past 1912, it would appear that UTLX did not deem conversion to AB schedule brakes worth the cost and effort.

Note that this type of car, with the K brakes continued in operation for many years beyond 1953 on Colorado narrow gauge rails.

It would be interesting to know what was the last standard gauge Type V car in operation and when it was retired?   Certainly, it would have been at or near 1953.

Hope this helps.  With the onset of WWII every tank car that was available was pressed into service.

Steve Hile