Re: Retainer Valves

Dave Lawler

Jack Burgess,
Thank you for the detailed photo of the KC retainer valve. The ones in the Cal-Scale KC & AB sets are so small that I can not make out the detail.even with a magnifier.
This brings me to another question. I understand that sometime in the mid 30s the government mandated that freight cars be fitted with AB brakes but many older cars
were not retro-fitted right away? I model Ontario, Canada in 1944 so there are likely to be a mix of brake systems? When the brakes on an older car were changed was the retainer
valve changed at the same time? Is a KC valve like the one you pictured not compatible with the AB system or might there me a mix?
Thank you and Merry Christmas to all,
Dave Lawler
Avon Lake, Ohio