Re: Photo: Loading Treated Water Pipe (1935)

Charles Peck

Maybe the pipes might not have been intended for municipal  system .  Perhap there
was some industrial use for brine or something else reactive to iron pipe.
Chuck Peck

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 11:07 PM Bill Parks via groups.io <BPARKS_43=YAHOO.COM@groups.io> wrote:
I do consulting work with utility companies, and even though my main area is with meters, I have picked up a lot of useless information about the electric, gas and water industries.  My understanding is WW1 is roughly the end of wooden pipes (as far as new installations).  And truthfully, after around 1900, it was a rarity to install them as part of a new system.

That being said, the picture is from 1935, so somebody somewhere was still buying then.  What we don't know is what the pipes in the picture were used for.  I doubt they were going for a new installation (but I could be wrong).  My guess is they were going for repair/replacement of existing wooden pipes where the water company wasn't ready yet for a wholesale replacement of their system.  Truthfully, I was surprised to see a picture of them this late, and I doubt any wooden pipes were built after WW2.

--
Bill Parks
Cumming, GA