Re: Photo: Loading Treated Water Pipe (1935)

william darnaby

Long ago I did an article in Mainline Modeler on making a pole load.  I used oil paint burnt umber and black with a bit of turpentine to get that creosote look.  I still do that for the lineside poles on the railroad.

Bill Darnaby

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bruce Smith
Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2020 3:52 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Loading Treated Water Pipe (1935)

Brent,

Creosote treated wood is usually brown to very dark brown, with darker, often black, stains. For an example of fresh utility poles, see: 

Regards,

Bruce

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Brent Greer <studegator@...>
Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2020 11:39 AM
To: earlyrail <cascaderail@...>; main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

That brings up a question I've had for a while for our expert modelers, what colors do you recommend for representing creosoted wood (like loads of utility poles or trestle pilings)?

Thanks,
Brent 

Dr. J. Brent Greer

Dr. J. Brent Greer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of earlyrail <cascaderail@...>
Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2020 11:10 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

Description:

"Workers at the Pacific Creosoting Company plant on Bainbridge Island are loading creosoted wood water pipe on a Great Northern Railway wood flatcar. Wooden pipe allowed economical distribution of water in cities and towns around King County. Similar products were produced at the West Coast Wood Preserving Company plant in West Seattle."

Caption is not correct.

Bainbridge Island never had rail service.

Howard Garner

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.