Re: Rapido GLa Hopper--Anthracite carloads on Great Northern

Robert kirkham

That’s the kind of data that had me asking about other speciality products - besides anthracite loads.

The truth is, I can’t recall more than a handful of hoppers in photos for my era out here in Vancouver.  Maybe they were all on trains running after dark, lol?

Rob

On Dec 25, 2020, at 8:30 PM, gary laakso <vasa0vasa@...> wrote:

The Annual Report for GN in 1939 shows carloads by these groups:
  1. Anthracite       1.055
  2. Bituminous    39,248
  3. Lignite             12,730 and
  4. Coke                  4,561

For a little perspective,  GN move 1,150 carloads of eggs, 1,301 of salt and 537 of wool.  If the GLa hoppers could have moved anthracite, I can buy one.

Gary Laakso
Northwest of Mike Brock