Re: Rapido GLa Hopper

Robert kirkham

Thanks Bob; that helps.

I think justifying Rapido’s F30A flat cars is a lot easier to explain out here.  The X31As are obvious of course.  Lots to choose from.  Would like to see some unique NYC and ATSF stuff next.

Rob

On Dec 25, 2020, at 7:07 PM, Gavin <senftgav@...> wrote:

Very interesting to know Bob! I assume it's because the mines of the Crow, Kootenays and Vancouver Island went to locomotive fuel first and foremost, not being the best for home heating.

On Fri, Dec 25, 2020, 6:26 PM Bob Thompson <bthompso@...> wrote:
Rob Kirkham wants an excuse to have one of these on his west coast Canadian layout. I can’t confirm a PRR GLa but I do have a photo of a similar CV hopper at a fuel dealer in Victoria, BC. Very interesting is the CNR “GLa" coupled behind it, #115303. As I understand it there was a market for high quality coal for home heating and it would need to come from “back east” because it wasn’t mined in western Canada. I expect there would have various eastern US hoppers showing up on Canada's west coast until other fuels replaced coal.

Bob Thompson
North Saanich, BC