Re: Photo: Swift & Company Shed

Douglas Harding

I’m suspect this is a building related to byproducts from Swift. Note the many Swift Wool Soap signs. There are burlap sacks under the loading dock, perhaps containing wool. The building next door is a Hide and Wool buyer. The reefers are old, note the distressed wood siding and heavy salt stains. They probably contain tallow used in making soap. At least two of the reefers have the early Swift lettering scheme, similar to what is visible in the photo of 7749.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
Sent: Saturday, December 26, 2020 3:25 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Swift & Company Shed

Hi Bob,

Great image you found there!

I especially like the two wildly disparate types of end-of-track bumpers that are right next to one another.

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, December 26, 2020 3:34 PM

Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Swift & Company Shed

For some reason the little frame building with the brick chimney reminds me of a paper barbershop sold by Carsten's decades ago in a book of paper buildings you could cut out and assemble. That really dates me. 

Pat Wade

Santna Barbara, CA

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 12:21 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Swift & Company Shed

A photo from the Denver Public Library:

https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p15330coll21/id/3846/rec/102

Click on the double-headed arrow and then scroll to enlarge the image.

Description:

A view of a Swift and Company wood building in the Platte Valley rail yard in Denver, Colorado. An ad poster for Swift and Company is on the front of the building; railroad cars are behind the building and the 16th Street viaduct is in the distance. A sign above the doorway reads "Swift & Company".

My guess this is a minor repair facility for company reefers and livestock cars. Does anyone have an alternative explanation?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.