Re: unusual models for sale on ebay

Jeffrey White

Dan,

I just finished a 3D printed kit of an Illinois Central 500 Series Cistern (auxiliary tender). It wasn't a bad kit.  I posted a review on MRH, I didn't post it here because it's not a freight car.  The detail quality was as good as any resin kit I've built, the only things I didn't like is there were diagonal marks on the sides of the car from the printing process.  I didn't try to sand them out because I was afraid they would go all the way through the print and the steps were very brittle and easy to break.

I think 3D printing an entire car is probably the future for specialty cars that there isn't a huge market for.  I don't think 3D printing will replace resin or plastic kits.

Jeff White

Alma IL

On 12/28/2020 7:13 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
Garth Groff posted a link to the shapeways helium car in post # 153917 on 11/29/17.

Looked at it back then, price was lower, and I was hoping someone would comment on the quality of the print.

If as Tom says, none have been produced, wow.

3d printing of the components as a starting point may be the way to go for those that have enough info on these cars and
the drive to produce a kit. But a one piece printed car, that I would have to see first..

Dan Smith