Re: unusual models for sale on ebay

Tom Madden

I spent over 20 years in commercial rapid prototyping (3D printing) and the primary purpose of 3D printing is to prove in a design. I've yet to meet a designer who gets everything right the first time, or see a first print that met every requirement. It's an iterative process. So it's always bothered me to see designs offered for sale on Shapeways based only on a digital image. That tells me the designer wants others to pay to find his mistakes. "Oh, the print's no good? Here's your money back. Please tell me where itr can be improved." I know the field has advanced considerably since I retired over four years ago, and 3D printed objects are much higher quality. But the designer's work isn't done until the actual product exists in usable form. Since I retired and lost access to in-house printers I've sent over 100 designs to Shapeways - and had every one of them printed. Many of those were test prints so I could see where designs needed to be modified, and most final prints ended up as patterns for resin casting. Maybe that makes me "old school", but I want to see that an actual object has been created before laying out the bucks.

Tom Madden