Re: Sugar Beets Photo: D&RGW Gondola 70298 (1949)

Mont Switzer

I made ear corn loads and corn crib filler out of out of bird seed, painted yellow and glued to Styrofoam fillers.  We took a 2 week trip to FL and Cocoa Beach in January during which time a mouse family apparently house sat for us.  Upon our return we found that the mouse family had feasted on those bird seed loads, paint, glue and all.  A stock car converted to a corn crib had a hole chewed in it.  They ate an entire grain truck load and maybe the styrene sides.  I have yet to find those scratch built sides for the truck.  Fortunately the pot metal truck escaped any damage.  Pot metal must not have met the mouse family’s dietary needs.

Guess what I was picking up from the right of way and other locations that accommodate my (mandatory STMFC content) steam era freight cars  with tweezers?  Great way to foul a switch.

So, you might want to look for something a little less enticing.

Mont    

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.

Fall Creek Leasing, LLC.

mswitzer@...

(765) 836-2914

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ray Hutchison
Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2020 8:17 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Sugar Beets Photo: D&RGW Gondola 70298 (1949)

There has been fairly recent discussion of sugar beets.  I would think the plants offer great opportunities for modeling of cars, unloading tracks, and other facilities.
I am wondering if anyone has attempted to model sugar beets as car loads? The closest I can think of might be Rice Krispies sealed and painted (now that we have finally gotten rid of our mouse problems) but I think even that would be out of scale?
rh

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.