Re: Photo: Speas Company Vinegar Tank Car

mel perry

it appears that the cross braces on the
front tank have been disconnected,
lacking any data on the cars themselves,
agree that they are in a scrap line
;-)
mel perry

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021, 3:24 AM Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:
Friends,

In October 1956 Speas Company operated 11 vinegar tank cars. SVMX 1 was an 8K gallon TM car, while the rest were 9K gallon TW cars numbered 121-130. The reporting address for these cars was a Speas Company office in Kansas City, Missouri.

Given that both cars in this photo have their car numbers obliterated, I would suggest they were awaiting scrapping. Note that the car closest to the camera has an additional horizontal brace on the right-hand tank which is missing from the left tank.

Wikipedia has a short page on Speas Company at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speas_Vinegar_Company . It is mostly about a factory building in Charlotte, North Carolina (now a brewery). I also found a photo of their KC plant at https://kchistory.org/islandora/object/kchistory%3A103787 . A search on "Speas Company" on that page turned up a whole bunch of other photos of the plant, but sadly no other tank car photos. A google image search found a photo of a Speas plant in Paris, Texas, but it requires a Facebook log-in and I'm not a member.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 10:11 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Speas Company Vinegar Tank Car

A photo from the Denver Public Library:

https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p15330coll22/id/67531/rec/70

Click on the double-headed arrow and then scroll to enlarge the image.

Not much information on the Speas Company:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speas_Vinegar_Company

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA