Re: Sugar Beets Photo: D&RGW Gondola 70298 (1949)

Jerry Michels

There is no specific size limitation to sugar beets.  I hand harvested acres as a grad student working field research on sugar beet root maggot. All depends on if the farmer had a good year of sun and plenty of water. Largest I ever saw were about a foot long  Tapering slowly from a good foot at the top to the end of the root. By the way, raw sugar beet root has no sweet taste, pretty bland.  The leaves, though taste similar to chard.  Jerry Michels