Re: P&LE USRA rebuild

O Fenton Wells

Ron, I built a SR (Sunshine) box early on and thought I had done a good job.  Then I saw the same car built by Craig Zini and realized that I had not applied the roof correctly.  The kit is no longer available but I disassembled it anyway with ACC debonder, some parts came loose some broke but I persevered and rebuilt, painted and decaled it..  I have attached a photo.
A few years later I built the second version of the car for the Shake 'N Take at Cocoa (Sunshine did not do this version) . The earlier version could have been built the same way.
My point is go for it and you can recover or if not find another way to accomplish your goal, and you will learn alot along the way.
First photo ids the rebuilt Sunshine car SR @272123
Second photo is the later version of the same car SR #272522 kitbashed from an IM kit for the  Shake 'N Take at Cocoa
Keep on building
Fenton

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 9:12 AM mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:
I built one as-is, sometime in the early 2000s.  At the time, I was happy to have a distinctive car that went together in slightly less time than an early Sunshine.  It's somewhere in one of the twenty car carriers that my freight cars now live in, awaiting transfer to the new railroad.  But clearly I missed something.  I'm sure I used the decals in the kit, too.

But, on the positive side, I too am fishing out cars that I set aside for some reason, or maybe for no reason, to at last get them finished and on the railroad.  Those are mostly Sunshine (note reference above).  I have a couple that I'm contemplating removing the roofs from, in one case because it's actually the wrong roof (T&P box) and in other cases the roof was not well done, sometimes because I didn't get it aligned right, and in one case because there is a much better one (C&NW, subject of a Shake-n-Take from a few years ago).

I thought about attacking the roof with a Dremel saw, as being less injurious to the car body than some kind of chemical attack on the cyanoacrylate cement.  If anybody has done this, I'd be interested to hear results.

Ron Merrick

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd