Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Charging Ladles on flat cars

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Tim & Group;

I just love that pic for so many reasons.

The “SPOUT” lettering is probably for the crew welding the ladle together.

The ones face down further down are teeming ladles for the back end of the furnace work.  The appliances are not yet installed, as they would be easily damaged.  These were used for teeming ingot molds.

This is a massive load of ladles for both ends, so probably a start up new mill or (more likely) complete rebuild to a new furnace type (electric or BOP/BOF) of thing. Youngstown, of course, had a massive mill complex, so maybe the latter going on there?

I also find the other cars fascinating.  There are the steel plates, structural shapes, and coil loads, to boot.  Simply fabulous.

Let me know if you want to discuss more, on steel loadings.

Elden Gatwood