Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Charging Ladles on flat cars

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Tim & Group;

I just love that pic for so many reasons.

The “SPOUT” lettering is probably for the crew welding the ladle together.

The ones face down further down are teeming ladles for the back end of the furnace work.  The appliances are not yet installed, as they would be easily damaged.  These were used for teeming ingot molds.

This is a massive load of ladles for both ends, so probably a start up new mill or (more likely) complete rebuild to a new furnace type (electric or BOP/BOF) of thing. Youngstown, of course, had a massive mill complex, so maybe the latter going on there?

I also find the other cars fascinating.  There are the steel plates, structural shapes, and coil loads, to boot.  Simply fabulous.

Let me know if you want to discuss more, on steel loadings.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Friday, January 1, 2021 1:20 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Charging Ladles on flat cars

I have photos of single ladle loads of different types. But every once in a great while you might
see something like this photo shows! :-D

On 12/22/2020 2:13 PM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:

http://www.ejearchive.com/index.php?/albums/official-loads/content/co-loads-321/lightbox/

Group;

I went back into my photos, and yes, these are charging ladles.  From their size, they are for a full-size steel-making facility.  My guess is USS Gary Works.

They do appear to have those cross tie-downs that make good modeling.

These are not the ladles you’d see in an open hearth complex, but more likely an electric arc or basic oxygen process (BOP) shop, due to the need to charge the furnace direct from these large ladles.

I do not see refractory in the ladles (also a great freight car load), so they can’t be modeled with some of the steel hobby models that already have it installed.

Why no one does a ladle load like this is beyond me.  These are a MUST for anyone modeling a RR or branch serving a steel mill.

Elden Gatwood

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.