Re: 50' Mather stock cars

Ray Breyer

I haven't been able to find any evidence of the 50-foot cars being converted in 1952. 1962 is more likely a correct date, but by then Mather didn't exist.

Where did the 1952 date come from? I'm working on a full timeline of Mather from 1880-1956, and I'd love to see that data.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Sunday, January 3, 2021, 08:06:44 PM CST, Steve SANDIFER <steve.sandifer@...> wrote:

I assume many of this group are on the OpSig group that discussed Live Stock Operations today. The question concerned the 50’ Mather stock cars.

Mather cars were generally leased cars. Beginning in 1952 Mather spliced together pairs of 40’ cars, retaining the doors of both cars, producing a 50’ stock car. Cars in that configuration were operated by the

NKP (Photo 42023 1966)

NYC (as NISX painted Jade Green in 1966). The NISX cars were frequently seen on the Q. Photo NISX 3169 Freight Cars - Lake States Railway Historical Association (lakestatesarchive.org) and Freight Cars - Lake States Railway Historical Association (lakestatesarchive.org)

CB&Q, 40 cars (50200-50239) for use in sheep and hog service which lasted until at least 1968.

Maybe Doug or someone else can add more details to this discussion.

For more info:

Burlington Bulletin, No. 25

Model Railroader, January, 1998

J. Stephen Sandifer