Re: NP 5418

Tim O'Connor

Thanks Rob, I suspected there might be issues with turpentine and some brands of paint. I admire the
results people get with oils but I've never been successful with them.

On 1/4/2021 1:38 PM, Robert kirkham wrote:
Hi RJ, you’re achieving nice results, so what follows may not apply to what you are doing.  But my recent experience with turpentine and oils used for weathering washes was paint on two models turning into a rubbery muck that I ended up having to strip.  Lost the primer, paint and decals.   The under-paint before I applied the wash was Tamiya gray primer and Vallejo for the body colour.  I’ve since put the turpentine away and gone to water soluble oils.  Safer and just as easy to handle.

Rob

On Jan 4, 2021, at 8:53 AM, radiodial868 <radiodial57@...> wrote:

Nice. I think you've also just described the standard for steam era weathering for 2021 that many of us are using. The only tweak I'm currently doing different is after painting and before the Pledge Future coat and decaling, I apply a thin wash of Turpentine and black oil paint. It gives the weathering depth for steam era cars that me applying the pan pastels at the end can't do alone.  I've also found that if you do light swipes of a tan or light gray PP on the appliances and trucks, it highlights them as you would see them if the sun was shining.
--
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts