Re: NP 5418

Tim O'Connor

Very interesting Bill ! I usually don't use SC flat because of its high talc content, but that's good to
know. I still have a couple of bottles left of Floquil flat - not glaze - which is clearer than SC. I will
experiment with the Turpenol over Floquil and see what happens... :-)

On 1/4/2021 7:56 PM, william darnaby wrote:

I still weather a lot with an airbrush, spraying dilute Floquil earth or foundation and rail tie brown mostly on the underbody, trucks (attached less wheels) and lower areas of the body while the car is still glossy after decaling.  Then comes the Scalecoat flat finish all over the car (I use Scalecoat exclusively for cars I decal).  After a day of drying I do the oil paint wash.  Using a watercolor brush I mix burnt umber and black in a small glass cup of Turpenol, loading the brush by sticking it into the oil tubes and then swirling it around in the cup.  The mixture gets applies to the roof first and then the sides and ends, letting the wash run down.  The wash tends to collect around details like rivets, seams, ribs, etc. and collects at the bottom.  If too much collects at the bottom of the side it can be wicked up with the brush.  Because the mixing process is haphazard the amount of application varies from car to car.

After a day of drying the reweigh and repack data and background paint is applied with decals over the oil wash.  Decal chalk mark decals are also applied at this time.  Then it is a final application of Scalecoat flat to kill the shine of these decals.  Finally, accents with Pan Pastels are applied.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Bill Darnaby

Sterling, Massachusetts