Re: Workbench Wednesday!

Brian Carlson

Did you measure the axle before or after cleaning up the cone with the reboxx tool? I have over 1 dozen BLI tank cars and the IM axles all fit fine after cleaning up the truck bearing cones. The BLI truck molds do not have a good surface out of the box, and I got a lot of shavings with little pressure.

Truth is I would have liked to totally replace the BLI trucks but the atypical mounting system makes it more work. So I took the easier way out.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jan 6, 2021, at 4:23 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@auburn.edu> wrote:

Brian,

I agree. However, I measured those axles at 0.985” or so…really short. I think my standard replacement wheels are 1.015” or so. Does IM make short axle wheel sets? Reeboxx used to, but I they have not been available for some time.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Jan 6, 2021, at 2:36 PM, Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Intermountain hi detail semi-scale wheels and scale couplers are a must for Broadway tank cars. The Broadway wheelsets are hideous.
Brian J. Carlson