O Fenton Wells
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
Nelson I'm just amazed at just how clean and neat your work area is, I'm very jealous
On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 5:01 PM Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...
I bought five Sunshine CB&Q GS-5/7/8 and one CB&Q GS-2 rebuilt gondolas shortly before Martin passed, and after looking over the kits and instructions, I laid the kits aside to work on other projects. I was fortunate to find two more GS-2 kits a couple of years ago, and I added those to the gondola stash. Somehow I never got around to building these kits. Meanwhile, Jerry Hamsmith and Ed Rethwisch offered their unit body kit for the GS-5/7/8 gondolas a few years ago, and bought and built 17 kits. About two years ago, I decided to build all of my remaining flat kits from Sunshine and Westerfield, and the eight gondolas are the last of my flat kits - ever!
The Sunshine flat kits require boxing the car and adding 38 itsy bitsy resin parts to match the Hamsmith unit body. Seventy plus additional parts not counting grab irons are required to complete the kits, depending upon the level of detail you choose to add. The total part count for the unit body kits is 103, while the Sunshine kits have 148 parts, counting grab irons, couplers and trucks. Obviously, the unit body kits are easier to build, and they save a great deal of tedious work with the Wine latches.
I sent much of the past four days applying decals to these eight cars, and now they're ready for a flat clear coat. Decals aren't usually a big deal, but somehow I lost all eight sets of these decals, and because they were from Sunshine, they aren't replaceable. Fortunately, I had the leftovers from those seventeen Hamsmith kits, and together with decals scrounged from three other Sunshine kits and one Speedwitch kit. I was able to find the decals I needed for these cars. Unfortunately, that meant piecing numbers, and piecing three sets of two numbers each or three single numbers with a pair of numbers is not for the timid, vision impaired, or unsteady of hand and nerves. Especially for the tiny little end road numbers.
The GS-2 gondolas were rebuilt with Dreadnaught end panels replacing the wood sides, so the decals have to be applied over deep corrugations. For those who haven't done that, the trick is to slather on Micro Sol and lay the decal flat across the tops of the corrugation, letting it dry thoroughly before proceeding. Next use a new #11 blade to slice the decal along the bottom or top of the corrugations, depending upon the line spacing of the lettering, then slather on more Micro Sol and gently brush down the loose edges of the decal. After most of the Micro Sol has evaporated, check to see that the decals have settled down into the valleys. Add more Micro Sol if necessary until the decals conform to the corrugation.
These cars represent two GS-5 rebuilds with Dreadnaught ends and Ajax hand brakes, one GS-7 with reverse Murphy panel ends and Perfection hand brakes, two GS-8 rebuilds with wood ends and Ajax hand brakes, and three GS-2 rebuilds with Dreadnaught ends, reverse Murphy panel sides, and Perfection hand brakes.
We've had dense winter fog for the past few days, but as soon and the humidity subsides, I'll spray the clear flat, add couplers and air hoses, and put these cars in the storage boxes with my other resin builds until I get around to weathering.