Re: Workbench Wednesday!

Bruce Smith

Brian,

Before... just got home and reamed them out. Wow!  Lots of crud in those bearings!  Now the 1.015" axles fit fine. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361@...>
Sent: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 3:35 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Workbench Wednesday!

Did you measure the axle before or after cleaning up the cone with the reboxx tool?  I have over 1 dozen BLI tank cars and the IM axles all fit fine after cleaning up the truck bearing cones. The BLI truck molds do not have a good surface out of the box, and I got a lot of shavings with little pressure.

Truth is I would have liked to totally replace the BLI trucks but the atypical mounting system makes it more work. So I took the easier way out.

Brian J. Carlson
> On Jan 6, 2021, at 4:23 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:
>
> Brian,
>
> I agree. However, I measured those axles at 0.985” or so…really short. I think my standard replacement wheels are 1.015” or so. Does IM make short axle wheel sets? Reeboxx used to, but I they have not been available for some time.
>
> Regards,
> Bruce
> Bruce Smith
> Auburn, AL
>
>> On Jan 6, 2021, at 2:36 PM, Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361@...> wrote:
>> Intermountain hi detail semi-scale wheels and scale couplers are a must for Broadway tank cars. The Broadway wheelsets are hideous.
>> Brian J. Carlson
>
>
>

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.