Re: 100-ton Andrews trucks in HO

Dave Parker

Richard:

I'm not sure your are going to get any closer than the Bowser Crowns.  Except for that photo, I don't offhand recall seeing 100-ton Andrews trucks.  There was no USRA design for them (those topped out at 70 tons), and I haven't seen a drawing or image in any of the CBCs that I have.

I'm going to guess that the 100-ton version wasn't markedly different than a 70-ton Andrews design.  Wheelbase was probably similar (5-9?), and the ARA spec F journal boxes weren't that much larger than the spec E boxes (6.5 x 12 vs 6 x 11).

I've used the Browser trucks as a stand-in for the actual USRA 70-ton Andrews and it's a pretty good fake. They are clearly more "massive" than the 50-ton Andrews, and I think would convey a similar look on your sulfuric acid car.  Best of luck with that project.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA