Re: 100-ton Andrews trucks in HO

Dave Parker

OK, a few nuggets of (perhaps) interest:

Along the way, we have touched on the 70-ton PRR 2E-F2 Crown and the corresponding USRA Andrews.  This is a comparison that put together a year or two ago:

I don't have any good photos of the USRA truck in service under the 70-ton USRA gondola, but what I have seems to agree with the Buckeye advert.  To my eye, the USRA 70-ton truck is just more "muscular" than the Accurail model, similarities in wheelbase and spring-box dimensions notwithstanding.

This is the original USRA drawing for their standard trucks from the April, 1918, edition of Railway Mechanical Engineer, but also reproduced in the 1919 CBC.  It's not 100% clear to me how one would translate the table of dimensions into a master for a model truck, but that's a task way beyond my skill set.  It also seems to me that the exact shape of the side-frame, especially the top chord, is not being specified, implying some latitude to the individual manufacturers (of which there were several).

Last, I have actually seen one example of a 100-ton "Andrews" truck in both the 1928 and 1931 CBCs.  I agree with Dennis that this is clearly a "special" designed by Buckeye, but the advert doesn't mention a customer for them, nor have I seen one on an actual car.

Hope this helps.

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA