Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Pennsy X23 HO scale

Eric Hansmann

Thanks, Jim.

I applied the pin wash as the first weathering layer. A flat coat had been applied before starting the weathering.

I had used up a bottle of Vallejo burnt umber but like most any paint bottle, it wasn’t truly empty. I added some Vallejo thinner and shook it up. That became a wash.

I would put a few drops on a plastic palette and transfer the material with a fine 00 brush. A broader flat brush (3/16-inches wide) was used to apply the wash on the roof, door, and the lowest side sill . The wash was only applied to metal parts.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Brewer
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2021 12:41 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Pennsy X23 HO scale

Great looking car Eric; love the weathering.

When did you apply the pin wash? I was playing around with a pin wash the other day and believe I mixed it properly; I followed mixing directions per a Mike Confalone video on MRH; however, my pin wash didn't really flow as I thought it should, or how I perceived Mike's flowing around details.  I then did a YouTube search and watched a few military modeling videos where a pin wash was added; every one of the military guys insisted the pin wash had to be applied to a glossy finish, not a flat finish. Thoughts?

Jim Brewer

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.