Re: Who manufactured this car?

James E Kubanick

I purchased this kit in October of 1960 and it carries the road name and number Pere Marquette 89920. The outside bracing is, indeed, pot metal. I have just pulled it out of service as I am thinning my fleet and feel this car is expendable. It's a nice model but dated.

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV.

On Sunday, January 24, 2021, 2:16:49 PM EST, Kenneth Montero <va661midlo@...> wrote:

Mike,

You most likely are correct regarding the first date of production. I assumed that the HO Seeker info was the first date of production - and we all know the derivation of the word "assume".

Ken Montero
On 01/24/2021 11:13 AM Schleigh Mike via groups.io <mike_schleigh@...> wrote:

Not to pick too many points, Ken & Group, but----

I believe this Ulrich 'outside-braced' (sic?) boxcar kit first appeared in late 1940s Model Railroader advertising.  I have not looked for it in my collection but it was out there long before 1960.  I believe the first I purchased was in 1958.  Two of these I used to make my first WAG box car models.  See attached.

Regards from cold Grove City in western Penna.  ----  Mike Schleigh

On Saturday, January 23, 2021, 10:09:06 PM EST, Kenneth Montero <va661midlo@...> wrote:

Chuck,

I believe that is an Ulrich model that first appeared in 1960. See below from  from HO Seeker.com

Ken Montero
On 01/23/2021 4:25 PM Chuck Cover <chuck.cover@...> wrote:

Hi,

Looking for some help identifying the manufacturer of this model.  The model has wood sides and ends, has white metal bolsters, and has brass pieces that act as roof cross braces (not sure what to call them) and brass z-braces for vertical and diagonal side supports.  I purchased this model many years ago and it has been operating on my layout.  I would like to learn something about it.  Thanks

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM