U.P. S-40-6 Double Deck Live Stock Car

Bryian Sones

So I finally got around to building some S-40-6 1955 Live Stock Car from UHPS. While building the cars I discovered that an adult Scale cow would not be able to stand in the lower deck of the car. There is plenty of clearance in the top deck. When the prototype cars were rebuilt with double decks is it possible that the upper deck was perhaps used for larger live stock and the lower used for smaller? If this is not the case perhaps the model has the deck located too low? Did anyone come across this issue when building these cars. I didn't come across this issue with the Westerfield version of the car however, that models doesn't have simulated wood where the upper deck should be so I went off of photos to located it. I also only loaded those cars with smaller live stock which leads to my final question..... Were these cars ever loaded with larger live stock such as cattle after they were rebuilt and fitted with double decks?      .

Thanks,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA