Re: U.P. S-40-6 Double Deck Live Stock Car

Bryian Sones

Thanks for the info guys and I'll have to see if I can locate a copy of that Santa Fe book.

Douglas, the scale cow will fit through the upper deck door but not through the lower portion but I felt it would seem odd to have all that weight above. As you mentioned in reference to  Dick Harley's Stock Car primer.... S-40-6 Cars were "SA" type, therefor these cars where convertible.

If the lower deck was used to load Cattle then the upper deck was pushed up and un-used? If the U.P. still moved cattle in these cars after the rebuild I could use the Westerfield car to represent this. The deck location isn't designated on the model.

Has anyone ever seen or have any picks of cattle being moved in these cars in the 1950's?

  Thank You,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Monday, January 25, 2021, 10:11:24 AM PST, Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...> wrote:

Brian the UP had some double deck stock cars designed to hold cattle on the lower level. According to the Stock Car Data posted by Dick Harley, these cars were classified as SA. Most built new in 1950-1952, the rest rebuilt from S-40-10 stockcars in 1947-48. All were 40’ cars.

https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/UP-FRT-DATA/UP-Stock-Car-Data/i-bg5rQjM/A

Your model is a S-40-6, which was a 36’ car first built in 1918 as a single deck car, that was rebuilt by the railroad into a double deck cars, starting in 1941. Some were equipped with convertible upper decks. Mostly likely the rebuild was done for sheep traffic.

To my knowledge no one built a double deck stock car that could handle cattle on the upper deck. Some double deck cars were convertible, that is the upper deck could be raised up out of the way into the roof cavity to accommodate tall livestock, ie cattle and horses.

You state you can get a cow model on the upper deck of your model, while there may have been clearance on the upper deck due to the peaked roof structure, could the cattle fit through the door?

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org