Re: U.P. S-40-6 Double Deck Live Stock Car

Bryian Sones

Douglas, sorry about that I meant to say the S-40-6 were SC not SA I miss-typed. I built a bunch of the trixx .U.P. s-40-12 cars which were "SA" so I had my mind slightly on that and miss-typed. Anyway you answered my question perfectly. Very much appreciated!

So the Westerfield version of the s-40-6 car will work perfect for a representation of cattle loaded. I can just model the upper decks in their non -op position. I'll use the UPHS cars for Double Deck service for the smaller livestock top and bottom.

Thank you everyone very much for the help and info.

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Monday, January 25, 2021, 12:57:33 PM PST, Tom Madden via groups.io <pullmanboss@...> wrote:

Steve Sandifer's excellent Santa Fe stock car book has a two-page spread devoted just to the convertible mechanism (pp 128, 129). The old AHM "cattle car" is actually a decent model of a NYC convertible stock car, except it has the deck lifting mechanism on both sides while the prototype had it only on the left. According to my notes the June 1990 MAINLINE MODELER has a prototype photo and equipment diagram of the car, while the December 1991 MLM has a construction article based (IIRC) on the AHM model.

Tom Madden