Re: Semi OT: Commercial Car Journal

Brian,

Nice van. Great colors.

I did the same sort of project when I worked for the UVA library (on my lunch hours). I scoured journals from a Virginia trucking association and the Southern States co-operative. Sadly, these were all both black-and-white, but I have a nice file of period-appropriate trucks for my 1953 interests. Will I ever get around to modeling them? Probably not.

Now I'm doing the same thing online and through books searching for British horse-drawn delivery vehicles circa 1930 for my Scottish O-scale narrow gauge railway. I have several old Adams/Revell/Glencoe O-scale wagon kits that will be a good parts source.

I have some photos of old junker and clunker trucks, most in color, and some dating from around 1950 and before. I'd be glad to share any of these photos that might be of use to you.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 9:12 AM Brian Rochon <berochon@...> wrote:

Garth,

Indeed.  That is the main reason that I am taking the time to go through 20 years worth of CCJ.  Although the number of images of steam-era freight cars is very limited, it is full of images of the trucks that loaded, unloaded and were carried on those cars.  For those of us who model prior to 1950, photo sources showing era-appropriate lettering and colors for trucks is hard to find.  The attached image of a Diamond T truck from the Feb 1945 issue of CCJ is one example.

HathiTrust has downloadable copies of CCJ from 1915 until the end of the period covered by this list (and beyond).

Brian Rochon

Silver Spring