Re: IM Steel NP Reefer Production Year

Jerry Michels

Lester, you have the info so this is kind of a repeat. Yes we always work with the manufacturer to get multiple numbers.  Usually it is six, but has gone as high as 12.  One reason we do little to no Athearn is that they will only do one number on 600 cars.  We can't handle thousands of cars.  We did a run of Athearn airslide covered hoppers, but got them without numbers and had decals made so the buyer could appuy their own.  They sold slowly.  Way back we contracted with Kadee to do their PS-2 covered hopper for the SP with red lettering.  At that time, Kadee only allowed two numbers per run.  Shortly afterwards they did a run of the same cars for an historical society (who, I can't remember) with I think four or six numbers.  I can't confirm, but we may have been their fits non-dealer customer.  I remember some conversations kind of pointed that way.  It has been a fun  experience, and Lester got me off the dime to do our custom car history.  It still needs some updating.  Most models are sold out. What's left are on our website.

Jerry Michels