Re: Pacific Electric

Tim O'Connor

does not appear to have any special equipment

On 2/4/2021 12:09 PM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
RJ,

I found no indication in Tony's book that the stock cars had the tight-curve brakes. There were only 10 cars, PE 8500-8509. These were class S-40-4 built in 1914, which is about 10 years before the special application on the bulk of new PE cars. The cars went to the SP in 1940. Also consider that these cars were 37', and might not have needed the special brake arrangement, or they might have been in pretty restricted service to customers that didn't have tight curves. The only photo I've ever seen of these is the builders photo in Tony's series (V.1) on page 264. It is from the "wrong" corner, and Tony's roster doesn't call out any special equipment. The general arrangement diagram is in Swett's CARS OF PACIFIC ELECTRIC, V.3 page 783, but no brake details are given.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Sterling, Massachusetts