Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] OMI 3-compartment insulated tank is too big?

Mont Switzer

Eldon,

Those who stenciled compartment capacities on the domes hoped it would help the loader avoid overfilling and overrunning the compartment.

Another reason for the voids between compartments (double bulkhead) was to avoid contamination.  If a compartment leaked it went into the vid between compartments, not into the adjoining compartment. 

Mont

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] on behalf of Gatwood, Elden J SAD [elden.j.gatwood@...]
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2021 10:31 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] OMI 3-compartment insulated tank is too big?

From the many photos I have seen over the years, there are enormous variations in capacities.  The users had varied needs, so did the tank cars.

I like the cars that had the tank capacities stenciled on the dome.

Places like USSteel’s Clairton Works shipped three different products in one car, so had similar capacity compartments.

Users that shipped clean oil in, and used oil out, sometimes had very different capacity compartments.

And those converted from single to triple compartment, often had a larger center compartment, and dome, than the outer compartments.

Things to make tank cars even more interesting….

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of O Fenton Wells
Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2021 6:53 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] OMI 3-compartment insulated tank is too big?

Charlie Southern Car co makes great 3 dome and 2 dome tank car kits.

Fenton

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 5:13 PM Charlie Vlk <cvlk@...> wrote:

All-

Isn’t a three compartment tank smaller gallonage due to the extra tank bulkheads separating the compartments? That would make the 2K difference reasonable.
Charlie Vlk

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of nyc3001 .
Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2021 3:02 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] OMI 3-compartment insulated tank is too big?

Hi guys,

I was comparing my model of the OMI 8k 3-compartment insulated wine tank car (3271) to the OMI GATX 10k insulated car (3229). The tanks look like they're the same diameter and length even though there's supposed to be a 2k gal. difference between them. Is the 3-compartment car's tank larger than the prototype?

Thanks,
Phil

--

Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.