Re: Pacific Electric

Tony Thompson

Garth Groff wrote:

Interesting question. Tony would be the one to comment on that. Most of the surviving PE cars were transferred to the SP circa 1951-1952, and any that were worthy of continued service would have needed AB brakes.

I never saw in any SP records any indication of the PE car "special" brake gear. The only really comprehensive source on PE freight cars for me was the Volume III of the Ira Swett-edited "Cars of the Pacific Electric" series (Interurbans 37). The book does contain a number of PE equipment diagrams, but none give brake data beyond size and make of cylinder, and type of valve.

Tony Thompson