Re: OMI 3-compartment insulated tank is too big?

Steve and Barb Hile

This photo appeared in my UTLX book on page 85 (I hear that Ted is getting some additional copies, but I don’t know when.)

Here is what I can tell you.  Although the car was built by ACF (or is it AC&F?  :>)) it was built to UTLX’s design with the same underframe as other contemporary X-3 cars.  It was part of ACF lot 1523 and the cars were originally numbered 200 – 549.  They were later renumbered to 3625 – 3974.  Car number 3882 is in the Transportation museum at St. Louis and was recently repainted.  Ed Hawkins shared this photo with me from last fall.

Drawings from ACF for this lot are available from the library at the MOT.  The General Arrangement drawing is numbered 51457500.  The curator there is Teresa Militelo and her email is

tma.teresa2@...

I hope that this is helpful,

Steve Hile