From: "Claus Schlund \(HGM\)"
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Friday February 5 2021 5:43:46PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] How would the carbon black product have been shipped prior...

Thanks Garth!

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
From: Garth Groff and Sally Sanford
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2021 4:51 PM

Claus,

Before there were the steel covered hoppers we know and love, bulk granular and powdered materials were sometimes shipped in LT (with loading equipment) and LTA (without loading equipment) "tank cars". These looked pretty much like a conventional multi-compartment tank car, except the domes had some sort of small loading doors/hatches in the top, and there were usually two loading gates for each compartment at the tank bottom. The 1919 CBC has a photo on page 181 of CYX 102, built for American Cyanamid Company. A year or so ago we discussed UTLX 81014, a similar three-dome car converted from a conventional frameless tank car.

Whether such cars were actually used for carbon black, I can't say for sure, but it does seem possible. This would probably take some research with ORERs, and a knowledge of what companies produced carbon black. I only have a complete 1958 ORER, and found no such cars under Cabot or Columbian Carbon, just 46' LO cars like the F&C model. There still were 100 LT and LTA cars operated by Barret, and 37 in the General American lease fleet, but I don't know that these cars carried. There might be more buried among the small operators, but our Chinese take-out has just arrived.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 1:02 PM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:
Hi Eric and List Members,

Thanks Eric for the interesting links.

How would the carbon black product have been shipped prior to the use of dedicated carbon black hoppers? Bags or barrels in boxcars? Other method?

Claus Schlund