Re: DuPont tank car DUPX 254 - October 1944

Tim O'Connor

The two tank cars are very close in size - 11053 gallons vs 11313 gallons. I don't know why
one has 6 segments and the other 7, but the difference in gallons may not be related to the length
of the tanks. A very small difference in diameter could do that.

On 2/5/2021 11:10 PM, nyc3001 . wrote:
I think the Atlas car is different because it has a six-course tank instead of a seven-course tank as in the photo of DUPX 3257. Also, the tank looks longer than the Atlas tank. The Atlas car also has a welded underframe as opposed to a riveted underframe.

3257 reminds me a little bit of the OMI 3028 ACF tank though the Overland model's prototype is about 10 years older and has no dome platform.

-Phil

Sterling, Massachusetts