Re: USRA Rebuilt Twin Hoppers with welded bodies

James E Kubanick

The C&H is (was) a Pittsburgh area road. It is a short line that connected a power plant (Duquesne Light) near Cheswick with the Bessemer & Lake Erie at Harmerville. I don't know if it still exists, but its purpose was to haul coal between those two points. When I lived in Pittsburgh,I recall  the road was called the Harmerville & Cheswick. I never saw any cars lettered for the road, but, apparently, they did roster some  at one time. These would have been interchanged with the B&LE as there were no mines located on the line. Or, possibly, they were limited to some kind of in-plant service.

I haven't been up that way in years, so I don't know what is left.

Jim Kubanick,
Morgantown WV

On Saturday, February 13, 2021, 6:47:54 PM EST, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

Ed,

The C&H car does not carry full dimensional data, or does it have enough to meet some minimum standard for interchange in the 1936 time frame? Despite having incomplete information, it is marked with two "return to" interchange points. Strange.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 4:14 PM Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2021, at 11:46 AM, Bob Weston via groups.io <oandle=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> What railroads used these rebuilt hoppers?<HC_H 960-1 _1_.jpg>

Bob,
To answer your question, it’s hard to say without doing an ORER search for HM’s having 1995 cu. ft. (115 more than the standard 1880 cu. ft. USRA design). The photo shows what may have been an experimental repair using welding practices that went to a railroad called Cheswich & Harmor per the following three photo links. This particular car is C&HRR 60 with repairs on 2-5-36 by Greenville Steel Car Co.

https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-C/i-NpWTVw7/buy

https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-C/i-PmnC5Vw/buy

https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-C/i-DqWm3xD/buy

From 1933 to 1944, Greenville performed the work in 17 separate repair orders totaling 69 hopper cars of USRA vintage for the Cheswick & Harmor RR. I’m unfamiliar with this railroad, which does not appear in the 1930s-1940s ORER and thus apparent that the cars were not interchanged. Without having any additional photos of repaired cars other than C&HRR 60, it’s an unknown to what extent that Greenville’s repairs followed the same welding methods. Hope this helps.