Re: Boxcar identification assistance

O Fenton Wells

I'm going to comment here and I'm not speaking from actual knowledge of the white freight car but to me it looks like a standard 40 boxcar that was being loaded with cement or another white powdery substance.  And something went wrong at the loading facility.  Growing up in the south and going around rail yards and freight trains I saw many boxcars that had much white "powder" on the roof and sides.Never knew what it was and still don't but my guess is that is what the white boxcar is.  But in the 1950's and 1960's it was pretty common.  Saw it a lot on the early covered hoppers as well.

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd