Re: Earliest Color Photo of US Freight Cars?

Schuyler Larrabee

Agreed, PNW.  Didn’t see the tank cars ‘til I downloaded the TIFF.  Makes things a lot clearer, locos become obvious,, as does the design of the rolling stock.

Notice the string of short boards across the points of the switches in the foreground.  I went to Wolsztyn* in Poland in October ’19 to operate steam, but there was a lot to learn,  In the US we used miles of pipe to operate switches from towers.  In Poland, no pipe – they used a pair of wires, one to pull one way, the other to pull the other way, to operate signals and turnouts, and they were routed in ditches covered with boards like you see there.

In this photo, though, I don’t see a tower and I do see manual switchstands, so I don’t think that’s what’s being protected in the trench, but something’s going on there.

Schuyler

*Pronounced Vol-Stun

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of spsalso via groups.io
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2021 11:55 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Earliest Color Photo of US Freight Cars?

Schuyler,

I had that same thought.  In some ways, the photo reminds me of the Pacific Northwest.  But then there's the locomotives.  And then.....

Did ya notice the string of tank cars?

Ed

Edward Sutorik

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 06:09 PM, Schuyler Larrabee wrote:

Interesting photo Ed.

I am moved to observe that the freight equipment doesn’t look, in terms of coloration, much different than 40 years later in the US.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of spsalso via groups.io
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2021 4:24 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Earliest Color Photo of US Freight Cars?

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.