Re: Boxcar identification assistance

Schuyler Larrabee

It mostly looks like a box car-like object, so without other identifying characteristics, I’d say it’s a . . .. box car.  However, a reefer was my first alternative thought.  And as Doug says, there were white reefers out there.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Douglas Harding
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 1:16 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Boxcar identification assistance

Kaolin clay was once transported in boxcars and left a white residue, but not to the extent to completely coat the car.

But are you sure the car is a boxcar? While the photo is limited in size and thus details, I wonder if it is a reefer. There were white reefers in the nations fleet.

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of O Fenton Wells
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 11:37 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Schuyler., so what do you think made it white?  I don’t think it was Floquil

😁

On Feb 16, 2021, at 10:52 AM, Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

Seriously??  I beg to differ.  The white is too complete over the ENTIRE car.  I mean, I could believe that if the sides were seriously covered with dust or “product” of some kind, but the ends AND the roof are completely covered.  That’s PAINT, not “a material spill.”

OF course, the most interesting car in the yard is to the left of the locomotive, ERIE 77084 . . .

😊

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Clark Propst
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 9:33 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

I’m with Fenton. The car is covered with some like of material spill.

Clark

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.