Re: ACL paint scheme

Ed Mims

The ACL rule was that all open top revenue cars were to be black. It did not matter if the coating was paint or car cement. This policy continued with the formation of SCL and beyond. The only exception that I recall was cushion underframe box cars (sliding sill or end-of-car) were painted black. The use of car cement ended in the early 1960s from what I recall. As far as I know the last use of it was on wood chip hoppers. If you see a photo of a wood chip hopper with the stencil paint "bleeding" and running down the car side, that car was coated with car cement. Car cement's only redeeming attribute was that it was cheep. The ACL was too--I worked there (and loved it).

Ed Mims
Jacksonville, FL