Re: Rio Grande PS1

Tim,

As I said, Jim Eager's book shows photos of  both a 10' and a 10' 6" IH car from the leased D&RGW series. It was apparently a mixed bag.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 5:55 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

I have images of SIX of the 50150 to 50499 cars and all them are 10-0 IH and have 7 foot doors.

Exactly one railroad bought 10-0 IH PS-1 box cars with 7 foot doors -  the New Haven. And they
bought 1500 of them!

Some appear to have gone to ACY, some CNW, and some continued on under PC and then CR.
All of the New Haven PS-1's were built before 1950, so the roofs would be the early PS-1 style.

The ORER lists the entire series as 10-6 with 7 foot doors. So don't trust everything in the ORER ! :-D

On 2/18/2021 1:59 PM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
Mike and Scott,

Correct. D&RGW 50150-50499 were leased from USRE in 1966. They were a mixed bag of rebuilt cars, some with a rare 10' IH from the New Haven, and others 10' 6" IH. There are photos of both types and an explanation in Jim Eager's RIO GRANDE COLOR GUIDE TO FREIGHT AND PASSENGER EQUIPMENT (Morning Sun, 1996). Jim says the Grande ended up buying the lot, and some were in MW service for years. I've heard someplace that this lot included some non-PS1s as well, but I can't confirm that.

Garth Groff  🦆

Sterling, Massachusetts