Re: ACL paint scheme

Larry Goolsby

Thanks to Ed for his interesting comments. In my early years of watching ACL equipment, I often thought some of the black cars were "gray" but later figured out it was just weathered black. Don't know if I was seeing the ones with paint or with cement. Where I was, many of the hoppers and gons were in sand service, and a coating of that no doubt contributed to the "gray" appearance. And as I saw in later years, cars in the Bone Valley phosphate region ended up not only looking gray due to phosphate dust, but almost white in some cases.

Larry Goolsby