Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Stencil On CB&Q Boxcar

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

To add:  I read a group of letters between PRR and a customer where PRR billed the customer for clean-out of a gondola where PRR got back loaded with trash and most damaging, oil drums full of waste oil that had toppled, drenching the entire floor in filthy oil.  It was a wooden floored gon, so the oil penetrated the flooring, and dropped all over the yard where it was discovered.  PRR had to drill holes in the sides and floor to drain it, then used solvent to remove the oil and clean the car up.

I think the reason they treated the car the way they did, rather than charging the customer for a new floor, was that PRR was always so short of gons.

I recreated that car in HO, to entertain my friends and operators, who I expected to bad order when it came on-layout.  The drip marks down the side are prominent.

Everyone needs some bad order cars.

And we wonder why rail yards are so contaminated!

Elden Gatwood