Munising Ry. Co. 42' Flatcar- what could this part be?


I've thought these were grab irons and was modelling them as such. However, a friend pointed out that being slanted it might be some sort of lever of some sort to interact with the brakes, despite having a brake wheel with no linkage of any sort shown. It's the part between the brake shaft base and the polling pocket. Any idea what it is, and if so, any reference/prototype photos?

Join to automatically receive all group messages.