Re: Red Owl warehouse

Tim O'Connor

Elden

Just an observation - Railroads do consider that X54 car to be a "reefer" - RB. All of the railway
literature and especially financial reports I've read classify RB/L cars as reefers or refrigerator cars.
I think the compilation of cars by type in the CBC's and ORER's also count them as refrigerators.

On 2/23/2021 2:59 PM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:

Clark;

Generally, they had to make some reasonable accommodation in either too hot summer, or too cool winter, to accommodate canned goods.  Reefers were perfect, but jealously guarded by their owners.

There is loads of correspondence on spoiled canned goods claims.

The attached is the non-reefer RR solution from the PRR:  Insulated, and with “Quick Loaders”, as restored for the Strasburg RR.

Elden Gatwood