Re: Red Owl warehouse

Tim O'Connor

Have you ever spent time inside a closed freight car sitting in bright sunlight for a week?
Those canned goods could easily test the boiling point of water if it weren't for being in a
freight car that is protected against such temperatures. Modern insulated box cars are
more or less guaranteed not to gain more than 2 degrees Fahrenheit every 24 hours.

On 2/23/2021 4:10 PM, Philip Dove wrote:
Why were canned goods shipped in refrigerator cars? I have alway treated canned goods as something that do not need any special storage. I'm British and my understanding of canned means the produce is in a hermetically sealed tin that will keep the ingredients fresh for at least a few years. I know in America canned includes mason jars and glassware, but I still don't see the need for reefers. Were the cars ones that had brought uncanned fresh produce into the plant so canned goods were a logical backhaul load.

Sterling, Massachusetts